Wednesday, March 1, 2017

February Wrap Up (2017)

February was an amazing month for me this year. I read a whopping eight books during the shortest month of the year (probably a new record for me). If one of those books hadn't taken a total of six days to complete, I might have gotten even further.

This wrap up is my opportunity to tell you what I loved, what I didn't love, and what I recommend to you. I might even try to give you an idea of what I'll be reading in March!

I read a total of 2,949 pages in February. That's roughly 105 pages every day, which meets my daily reading quota of 100 pages daily.

Of those eight books that I read, three were 5* books (big month for five-star books!), 2 were 4* books, and three were 3* books.

First up in February (and continuing from January) was Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Sea of Monsters. I enjoyed this book and gave it a 5* rating based on my enjoyment of the story and in particular the fact that it is very different from the movie of the same title.

I continued reading the Percy Jackson series (because I had the boxed set) with Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Titan's Curse. This one was easily my favorite of the series, earning it a 5* rating from me.

The series sort of lost me after that. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Battle of the Labyrinth was slow and long, and in the end I could only give it a 3* rating. 

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Last Olympian also received a 3* rating, but in the end the entire series is definitely one that I'd read again, meaning that it wound up netting five stars in spite of a few flops in the individual books.

In a strange twist of irony, I wound up following my stepson's Freshman reading list by following Percy Jackson with Rot & Ruin, which frankly blew me away. I gave the book a 4* rating, but I'm not sure that's altogether fair. This is a book that I'll definitely read again, and I have the rest of the series on order from Barnes& Noble right now.

I was in the mood for zombies, so I re-read my favorite book of the 21st century, Warm Bodies. The sequel was released this month and I'm waiting for it to be available from my local library so that I can read it. Maybe I'll cave and buy it (though it's expensive).

The next book that I read was Beautiful Creatures. I'd read it before, and I didn't enjoy it the first time, when it took me about five weeks to finish reading. The book is impossibly, ridiculously long. This time I managed to finish in six days and enjoyed the book more, but it held onto its 3* rating.

A trip to the library resulted in the final read of February: The Selection, by Kiera Cass. I wasn't expecting much, but this one I definitely enjoyed, and in spite of this book's many shortcomings, I ultimately chose to rate it 4* and purchased the rest of the series online. Looking forward to reading them!

February has been an excellent reading month and I am now 5 books ahead of schedule for my 2017 goal of 50 books. I'm currently reading Snowflower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See, the first book of March, and will be following that up with Jurassic Park and then (possibly) Mists of Avalon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Into the Water, by Paula Hawkins | Suspense | Psychological Thriller | Murder | Book Review

Everybody Has a Secret Some people will love this book. Others will hate it. A lot of people will be somewhere in between. I th...